The Major of Social Welfare provides diverse and systematic curriculum and training programs to produce professional researchers and competent social workers.
- Social Welfare System and Policy Area : Social insurance areas such as; national pension, health insurance, unemployment insurance, as well as national basic livelihood security, poverty policy, labor and unemployment policy, welfare state comparative study and welfare model development.
- Social Welfare Service Area : Child abuse prevention service, family in danger of disintegration support service, the disabled welfare, medical social welfare, school violence prevention program, homeless self-support, welfare for the aged and drug addiction treatment.
- Social Action : International organization, non-profit organization, environmental movement or citizens' campaign. (This area can be regarded as one area of social welfare).
The sphere of activities of the social welfare workers includes various kinds of international organizations, press companies, civil organizations, welfare related high-ranking public officials, welfare-related research centers (Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs (KIHSA); Korea Labor Institute(KLI)), and various kinds of regional community welfare halls, social welfare facilities and medical institutions.
Department in Detail
1. Courses & Curriculums
(1) Community Welfare
This course aims to provide key principles and knowledge to perform social welfare on a community level. Professional skills, knowledge, leadership, and empowerment are key topics covered in the class.
(2) Poverty and Welfare
This course teaches the definition of poverty, poverty trend, and effects of poverty. In particular, this course addresses the importance of asset poverty in addition to income poverty.
(3) Mental Health
This course is designed to enable students to develop a knowledge base pertaining to the beginning level practice in the field of mental health. Students are introduced to theories of mental health, as well as mental illness, determination of need, service systems, scope and a variety of treatment methods, role of interdisciplinary teams, evaluation and the impact of discrimination.
(4) Childhood and Youth Welfare Research
1) The presentation, epidemiology, etiology, and social contexts of child neglect, child physical abuse and intimate partner violence
2) The implications of poverty for children and how these issues impact the children and families within the child welfare system
3) Interventios for maltreating families and maltreated children
4) Ethical dilemmas inherent in child welfare services
5) Placement options for children and youth who need to live away from their families of origin, including relative placements, family foster homes and independent living options
2. Exchanges and Partnerships
We have international exchange agreement with
- University of Southern Carolina
- University of Kansas
Why Choose Us?
The Department of Social Welfare has made noteworthy progress in teaching and research over the last few decades. With the energy and excellence of our faculty, the department is ranked high according to an evaluation of Social Welfare Departments in Korea. Competent students can play pivotal roles in the progress of our department and our faculty promises to support students' development in their chosen career paths.
In particular, the department was a recipient of a grant from the BK21+ Program, which supports graduate students' leadership in research. With this grant, the department will make great progress in the near future.
Qualified students can make it happen!